Sunday, December 4, 2011

Herman Cain- The Dropout


Some say the news of Herman Cain’s withdraw from the presidential race of 2012 is a shock, some say it was a good bet, and paid off. Some are happy, and some are disappointed. But regardless of how we felt about him or his campaign, we all tuned in to hear the speech that would seal his fate.

Why did Herman Cain pull out? Was it because of the negative speculations of sexual allegations, was it because of financial woes, or was it because he never intended to go all the way? We may never know, but what we do know is that Herman Cain has stated that these sexual allegations have casted a cloud of doubt over him and his campaign. What he didn’t say was whether that cloud caused a small shower, or a thunder storm strong enough to rip him out of the election.  

"As of today, with a lot of prayer and soul searching, I am suspending my presidential campaign," he said at an rally that was originally planned to be the grand opening of his national campaign headquarters in Atlanta."I am suspending my presidential campaign because of the continued distraction, the continued hurt . . . on me, on my family, not because we are not fighters, not because I am not a fighter."

"These false and untrue allegations continue to be spun in the media, and in the court of public opinion so as to create a cloud of doubt over me and this campaign and my family. That spin hurts. It hurts my wife. It hurts my family. It hurts me. And it hurts the American people, because you are being denied solutions to our problems," Cain said.

Just eight percent of likely Republican voters at the Jan. 3 Iowa caucuses support Cain, according to a poll released Friday by the Des Moines Register. That is about a third of the 23 percent support Cain had just over a month ago.

The LA Times reports, Cain's campaign sent mixed signals about his future since Ginger White, a woman who claims a 13-year affair with Cain, went public with her story earlier this week. Although Cain has said he has been "reassessing" his candidacy, he also suggested that unnamed enemies have been trying to him to toss in the towel.

"The pundits would like for me to shut up, drop out and go away," he said. "I am not going to be silenced and I am not going away," he said with his wife Gloria at his side, vowing to continue to be "a voice for the people."

Cain made sure to thank his supporters for their loyalty as he blamed the media for forcing his hand.

"I am disappointed that it came to this point, that we had to make this decision," Cain said.

Ginger White's story broke news after Cain faced weeks of allegations of sexual misconduct by at least three women connected to his tenure as the President of the National Restaurant Association.

According to CBS News, Cain said he was technically "suspending" the campaign and vowed to press on with his unique blend of conservatism through a new website, thecainsolution.com. The "suspension" allows his campaign apparatus to continue to raise funds.

Although his hand was pushed, Cain is at peace with his decision.

"So one of declarations I want to make to you today is that I am at peace with my God. I am at peace with my wife, and she is at peace with me. And I am at peace with my family and at peace with myself," Cain said.

No comments:

Post a Comment